The F5 studio monitor is the model that started it all for Fluid Audio. When we decided to enter this market, we wanted to address many of the issues found with monitors at this price point. We didn't realize that so many others would want the very same thing!
Fluid Audio's remarkably affordable F5 monitor brings a lot of technology and value to the table. The amplifier rear panel has not only XLR and TRS inputs for more professional applications, we have also included an RCA input for more "consumer friendly" applications. The amplifier has a generous heat sink for long mixing sessions. Most monitors have their amp heat sinks inside the cabinet where all the heat is generated and cannot escape. The F5 amplifier ICs are mounted directly to the heat sink, so heat can transmit harmlessly away from the drivers and internal circuitry. The amp also has something no other monitor in its class can boast - A standby circuit that shuts down the amp after 20 mins of non use. This may not seem like much of a feature, but we are all concerned with being "green" and conserving energy in this day and age. This is our small contribution.
While the amplifier is extremely important, all of the sound radiates from the front baffle, where the drivers and port are mounted. The woofer uses a paper pulp composite cone, which has a curve-linear geometry and is mounted to a well damped butyl rubber surround. All this contributes to a very well controlled woofer response that integrates seamlessly with the tweeter. The tweeter itself is a treated silk material, which means it's very light, very fast and provides just the right amount of articulation and "air" to high frequencies. The tweeter is mounted in a custom designed wave guide that is a perfect balance between optimizing the low end response of the device, and a great off-axis response in the near field.
The well reinforced MDF cabinet minimizes resonances, and the front mounted bass-reflex port allows the bass energy to radiate directly towards the listener. And unlike many other monitors in its class, there is a volume control on the front baffle for easy access.
All of these features come together to create a great sounding yet transparent listening and mixing experience...at a great price.
• Frequency response: 49 Hz – 22 kHz (+/-3dB)
• Crossover frequency: 2.5 kHz
• Low-frequency amplifier power: 40 watts
• High-frequency amplifier power: 30 watts
• Signal-to-noise: > 100 dB (typical A-weighted)
• Polarity: Positive signal at + input produces outward LF one displacement
• Input impedance: 20 k ohms balanced, 10 k ohms unbalanced
• Input sensitivity: 85 mV pink noise input produces 90dBA output SPL @ one meter with volume control at maximum (101dB Max SPL)
• Power: 115V ~50/60 Hz or 230V~50/60 Hz user switchable
• Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off transient, subsonic filter, external mains fuse
• Cabinet: Vinyl-laminated MDF
• Size (single monitor): 10.25” x 6.9” x 7.7” / 260 x 176 x 195 mm
• Weight (single monitor): 11 lbs / 5 kg